sábado, 17 de outubro de 2009



"JOE: In our 
country, 
you’re free and so you’re born 

and so 
they say, 
“You’re free,” so happy birthday. 


And 
even if you were born to lose, even if you were a complete wreck when you were born, 
you might still grow up 
to be 
(president) ... because 
you’re free.

GERALDINE: Today, 
you might be 
an average (?)
citizen ... a civilian 

... a pedestrian ... 

(But tomorrow) you might 

be elected to some unexpected 

(office, or sell 
your novel)
and suddenly become 

(famous). Or you could get run over by a truck 
and your 
picture could get into the papers _that_ way. Because 

you’re free 
and 
anything

might happen 
... so happy birthday.

JOE: Gee! All 

those lights 
(and all those screens)! 

The New 

(York)

Experience is mind-boggling. 
I don’t think I’ve ever seen that 

many (screens) 

and I’ll probably come again ... 
It was really 
amazing, mind-boggling.

GERALDINE: You’re 

walking, 

and you don’t always realize it, but you’re always falling at the same time. 

With each step you fall forward. Over and over, 
you’re falling and then catching yourself from falling ... And this is how 

you can be walking and falling at the same time.

JOE: Look! Over there! It’s a real 

dog ... and it’s really 
talking

GERALDINE: I want_
ed you 
and I 

(was looking for you ... but I couldn’t 

find you). 

(I wanted you and I was looking for you) all 
day ... 

but 

could
(n’

find 
you.)

JOE: Well, 
I paid 
(my money), and I’ve got this funny 

feeling that somehow - you know - 

it’s not what I paid my 
(money for). 

I mean 

I _paid_ my 
(money) and I just 

don’t think 
this is what 
I paid 
(my 
money)
- you know - 
what I paid 
(my money) for.

GERALDINE: No one has ever looked at me like this before ... 
no one has ever _stared_ at me for so long like this ... 
This is the first time 

anyone has ever looked at me like this ... stared at me like this 
for such a long time ... for 
so 
long.

JOE: Well, 
he didn’t know what to do 
so he just 
decided 

to watch the government 
and see 

what the government was doing 
and then kind of scale it down to size 
- and run his life 

that way.

GERALDINE: She said 
the hardest thing to teach her three-year-old kid was what was alive 
and what wasn’t. 

The phone rings 
and she holds it out to her kid and says, “It’s Grandma. Talk to Grandma.” 
But she’s holding a piece of plastic. 
And the kid says to herself: “Wait a minute. Is the phone alive? 
Is the TV alive? What about that radio? What is alive in this room and what doesn’t have life?” 
Unfortunately, she doesn’t know how to ask these questions.

JOE: We were in a large room. Full 
of people. 

All 

kinds. 
And they had arrived at the same 

time. 

And they were all free 

and they were all asking themselves the same question: What is behind that curtain? 
They were all free. And they were all wondering 

what (would) happen 

(next).

GERALDINE: This is the time and this is the record of the time."




(Lyrics by Laurie Anderson, 
typing modifications and brackets by me, i would take the words between brackets out...)

Sem comentários:

outros dias do caderno